Raspberry mousse cakes recalled for norovirus

Raspberry mousse cakes sold in multiple provinces across Canada have been recalled for norovirus

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says various raspberry mousse cakes have been recalled after it was discovered the desserts contained norovirus.

The agency issued an expanded recall notice Wednesday, saying the products have been sold in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, New Brunswick and Newfoundland and Labrador.

The notice, which was initially issued last week for products sold in Quebec, says the cakes may have also been distributed in other provinces and territories.

The agency says there have been reported illnesses associated with the consumption of the cakes, but did not specify how many.

The decision to recall the products was made after the CFIA investigated a foodborne illness outbreak.

The recalled raspberry mousse cakes include several brands, including Michaud, Jessica, Laura Secord and Top Dessert.

The CFIA says the desserts may have been sold frozen or refrigerated, or served from bakery counters without a label or coding.

It is advising restaurants, hotels and food retailers not to serve the product and check the product labels to ensure they are not carrying the recalled cakes.

The CFIA is also advising consumers who are unsure if they have purchased the affected product to contact the retailer.

People with norovirus illness usually develop symptoms of gastroenteritis within 24 to 48 hours, but symptoms can start as early as 12 hours after exposure.

The main symptoms are diarrhea, vomiting, nausea and stomach cramps. Other symptoms may include low-grade fever, headache, chills, muscle aches and fatigue.

The Canadian Press

Just Posted

Musical business owner creates Christmas music CD

Artist has produced album of seasonal favourites

Area taxpayers asked to fund museum staff

Nakusp museum seeks full-time part-time adminstrator

Nakusp agencies to address local housing crisis

Affordable, supported housing projects may break ground in 2018

Baby boom boosts Burton school talk

District would consider reopening if funding available, parents commit

CUPE, Nakusp agree to new contract

There’s labour peace in the village for two more years

VIDEO: When Maia meets Clara

New to dance, Nakusp teen takes on big role in Ballet Victoria’s Nutcracker

Debt-to-household-income ratio rises in third quarter

Total household credit market debt grew to $2.11 trillion in the third quarter

B.C. Mountie told to resign after texting teenage sex assault victim

RCMP documents say Const. Brian Eden sent sexually inappropriate photos to 17-year-old girl

Family doctors should learn to treat addiction, not shun patients: scientist

B.C. Centre on Substance Use’s Dr. Evan Wood said efforts underway to change addiction medicine image

Four dog deaths investigated in Cranbrook

One vet suggests a parallel to these deaths and similar ones in 2016

Meningococcal disease outbreak declared in Okanagan

Five cases in last six months among 15- to 19-year-olds, including one in Vernon

Province rejects Ajax mine in Kamloops

KGHM Ajax had proposed a 1,700-hectare open-pit copper and gold mine, just southwest of Kamloops

Border officers rally at B.C.’s Peace Arch

CBSA employees tire of ‘lack of respect’

FCC votes along party lines to end ‘net neutrality’

Move rolls back restrictions that keep big providers from blocking services they don’t like

Most Read