Five Langley school students were taken to hospital after playing with a discarded vaping device. Wikimedia Commons image

Five B.C. students taken to hospital after playing with vaping device

School district said students were taken to hospital ‘out of an abundance of caution’

Five Langley elementary school students were taken to hospital Friday after playing with a discarded vaping device, the school district said.

In a written statement released late Saturday, the district said there was an “incident” at R.C. Garnett school which required medical attention for five students.

“During recess, a staff member noticed a small group of students handling a vape device found on the school field. “

It appeared the students were playing with the device and had contact with the liquid contents.

READ MORE: Vaping among Canadian teens spiked 74 per cent in one year: study

Staff called B.C. Poison Control, which advised the school to call BC Ambulance Service.

Parents of the students involved were called.

“Out of an abundance of caution, the five students were brought to hospital to be monitored and were released,” the statement said.

It added that the district “wants to assure families that student and staff safety and well-being is a top priority. The school conducts daily sweeps of school property for any trash, glass, and drug paraphernalia.”

R.C. Garnett school sent a letter to parents informing them of the incident.

School staff will be discussing the dangers of picking up unknown objects with students.

“The District is also encouraging families to continue these conversations at home,” the district release said.

.

_________________________________

Is there more to this story?

Email: dan.ferguson@langleyadvancetimes.com

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter

_________________________________

Just Posted

Snowfall warning for Kootenay and Paulson passes

Up to 30 cm expected in mountain passes Saturday and Sunday.

Community Futures launches cannabis consultation program

The Cannabis Business Transition Initiative helps businesses move into the legal economy

Moose tests positive for Chronic Wasting Disease in northwest Montana

This is the first time the disease has been detected in the species in Montana

Kootenay Patricks assemble to take on Montreal Canadiens alumni

The charity game takes place Jan. 23 in Nelson

Castlegar woman to appear on Dragons’ Den

Happy Gut sells water kefir beverages and kits to make water kefir at home.

Teen with cancer whose viral video urged Canadians to vote has died, uncle tweets

Maddison Yetman had been looking forward to voting in her first federal election since junior high school

Rowing Canada, UVic investigate celebrated coach for harassment, abuse

Lily Copeland says she felt intimidated and trapped by Williams

Cleanup in the works after tanker truck fire leads to oil spill in B.C.’s Peace region

The province said the majority of the spilled oil likely burned away in the fire.

BC VIEWS: Action needed on healthcare workplace violence

While we’ve been talking about it, the number of B.C. victims has only grown

Closing arguments begin in B.C. case launched in 2009 over private health care

Dr. Day said he illegally opened the Cambie Surgery Centre in 1996 in order to create more operating-room time

MacLean says “Coach’s Corner is no more” following Cherry’s dismissal from Hockey Night

Cherry had singled out new immigrants in for not honouring Canada’s veterans and fallen soldiers

MacKinnon powers Avs to 5-4 OT win over Canucks

Vancouver battled back late to pick up single point

Dallas Smith, Terri Clark to perform on CP Holiday Train’s B.C. stops

Annual festive food bank fundraiser rolling across province from Dec. 11 to 17

Poole’s Land finale: Tofino’s legendary ‘hippie commune’ being dismantled

Series of land-use fines inspire owner Michael Poole to sell the roughly 20-acre property.

Most Read