Fire in the Night

Local crew called after being alerted to a fire in the village

Nakusp’s volunteer fire department were called out to a home in the village on Feb. 17 after being alerted to a fire in town.

Arriving on scene, it was discovered to be a cooking fire.

The smell of smoke was in the air and the shrill sound of a smoke alarm could be heard as fire crew managed the situation.

Fire crew were walking around the perimeter of the house, opening windows and doors to get the smoke out of the home.

There wasn’t any damage, but some cleaning will need to be done.

“The whole inside of the house will have to be cleaned, as far as washing drapes and carpets and all that because of the stink,” said fire chief Terry Warren.

An elderly man was given oxygen on scene, and later taken to the hospital for observation.