Harry Sadd has been sentenced to eight years in prison. (RCMP handout)

Ex-teacher with West Kootenay ties sentenced in sexual abuse case

Harry Charles Sadd lived in Nakusp for about 10 years.

A teacher and coach with West Kootenay connections has been sentenced to eight years in prison for sexual abusing young boys.

Harry Charles Sadd, 74, was first arrested in Victoria in 2016 in connection with a series of alleged sexual assaults that were believed to have taken place in the 1960s and 70s.

RELATED: Victoria substitute teacher sentenced to eight years for sexual abuse of young boys

Sadd lived in Nakusp from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s, prompting the RCMP to reach out to West Kootenay residents in search of more victims.

By August 2017, 12 victims had come forward and Sadd was facing 23 counts of indecent assault and one count of sexual assault.

“Based on the Victoria Police Department investigational findings, the Nakusp RCMP has reason to believe that there may be other individuals who currently or previously resided in Nakusp that may have been victimized by Sadd,” said RCMP Cpl. Dan Moskaluk at the time.

“It is possible that he may have targeted young males in the Nakusp area. We would like for any individuals who may have been victimized by Sadd or holds information regarding other victims, to contact us.”

RELATED: Police believe there are more sex assault victims in Kootenays

Sadd pleaded guilty to three counts of indecent assault and five counts of buggery related to seven victims. The incidents took place between 1970 and 1982 in Victoria, Saanich, Esquimalt and 100 Mile House.

During the sentencing hearing the court heard that the victims were between the ages of nine and 13 when the abuse began and in some cases lasted for years.

Sadd admitted that there were more than 200 instances of sexual abuse related to one of the victims.

Sadd also lived in Hinton, Alta., for a period of time where he worked as a teacher, before being expelled from the Alberta Teaching Association for allegedly committing sexual offences against three boys. The allegations were dealt with in a tribunal, but not in a court of law.

Additional charges against Sadd are still pending in the courts.

With files from Ragnar Haagen, Kendra Crighton, Nina Grossman



betsy.kline@castlegarnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

CourtRCMPsex assault

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

B.C. COVID-19 contact restrictions working, Dr. Bonnie Henry says

’Not out of the woods yet’ as next two weeks are critical

Interior Health to host virtual town hall Friday, March 27

The Q&A forum begins at 6 p.m. PDT, link in story

West Kootenay octogenarian helping develop low-cost ventilator for COVID-19 patients

Peter Brockley is working with his doctor son, Graham, to develop the unit that could save lives

Interior Health issues alert following confirmed COVID-19 case on WestJet flight

The public exposure alert comes following the March 21 WestJet flight from Calgary to Kamloops

Kootenay doctor mobilizes engineers in effort to bolster PPE supply

West Kootenay doctor, engineers and volunteers create personal protection equipment with 3D printers

Trudeau announces 75% wage subsidy for small businesses amid COVID-19

This is up from the previously announced 10 per cent wage subsidy

World update, 9:30 p.m. March 27: Positive news in Korea as U.S. hits 100,000 cases

The United States now has the most coronavirus cases of any country in the world

VIDEO: Penguins roam empty halls of Vancouver Aquarium

COVID-19 has forced the Vancouver Aquarium to close access to guests – leaving room for its residents

Kids get back to learning in B.C., online

Ministry of Education rolls out new tool for school

67 more B.C. COVID-19 cases, two more deaths in Vancouver region

Positive tests found in Surrey, Langley long-term care facilities

‘Now is not the time to bag that peak’: BCSAR manager discourages risky outdoor adventures

Call volumes are not going down, even as the COVID-19 pandemic persists

Food Banks BC already seeing surge in demand due to COVID-19 pandemic

Executive director Laura Lansink said they expect applications will keep increasing

Nanaimo couple caught aboard cruise ship with four dead and COVID-19 present

Four ‘older guests’ have died on Holland America’s Zaandam; cruise line confirms two COVID-19 cases

Frontline workers receiving COVID-19 isolation exemptions prompt concerns

Provincial Health Authority staff exempt from self-isolation upon return from international travel

Most Read