This year, Arrow and Slocan Lakes Community Services (ASLCS) is celebrating 40 years of service.
On Friday, June 20, ASLCS will host an open house and free community BBQ at their office in Nakusp (11:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.) to celebrate these 40 amazing years.
On this 40th anniversary, ASLCS will share some of the stories that makes ASLCS what it is today. Forty ‘did-you-know’ facts about ASLCS will be displayed at the anniversary celebration. Here’s a sneak peak. Did you know…
• ASLCS WorkBC began offering services to the Lardeau Valley population starting April 2, 2012.
• In addition to fresh meals three times per week, ASLCS Meals on Wheels clients (anyone living in the area who needs assistance preparing meals) can order 16 frozen dinners for $100… that’s only $6.25 per meal!
• The SAFE in Safe Home is an acronym for Stopping Abuse in the Family Environment.
• The Food Bank is one of the founding ASLCS programs offered to residents in the region on Fridays from 10 a.m. to noon at the Nakusp ASLCS office. The Food Bank is made possible thanks to Overwaitea Nakusp, United Way Nakusp, the Columbia Basin Trust, and generous donations by community members.
• ASLCS in Nakusp provides dispatching services for many bus routes in Central Kootenay and Creston Valley Transit. These areas include Nakusp, Edgewood, New Denver, Silverton, Slocan, Castlegar, Nelson, Salmo, Creston, Kaslo and Argenta.
• In 2013, Selkirk College started offering Adult Basic Education programs in the New Denver ASLCS office two days per week.
• As a registered non-profit, ASLCS can assist community groups in accessing funds that require non-profit status to receive.
The services provided by ASLCS really are as diverse as they sound. ASLCS welcomes you to attend the June 20th BBQ (lunch served until 1:30 p.m.) to learn more, stop by their Nakusp office any time for more information.
The ASLCS members thank you for your support and involvement over the years, and welcome ideas for future ventures. If you’re interested in becoming part of the dynamic ASLCS board or volunteering to support and direct this non-profit society into the future, please ask for information at the open house or look for information on the website coming soon: www.aslcs.com or call 250-265-3674.