- 2015 Federal Election
Voting for CBT projects takes place on Sunday
Sunday is a big day in Nakusp.
That is the day the community will be voting for the Columbia Basin Trust Community Initiatives and affected area funding.
The vote takes place at the Community Complex this Sunday, April 27 from noon until 4pm.
In total, there are 17 projects to choose from.
There are five large and twelve small projects. If you live in the Village of Nakusp and defined Area K (Idler Road to Nakusp, Top of Summit Hill and Halcyon Hot Springs) you are eligible to vote.
The Organizations requesting funding from the large (over $10,000) category are:
1. The Arrow Lakes Ridge Riders who would like to purchase a multi-season Trail Groomer and are asking for $30,000.
2. Arrow Lakes Search & Rescue need to purchase response safety clothing and are requesting $16,353.
3. Halcyon Assisted Living Society would like to install automatic door openers at Halcyon House and are asking for $11,011.
4. The Nakusp & District Chamber of Commerce would like to hire a Community Events Coordinator to put on community events such as the Canada Day Celebrations and Celebration of Lights as well as facilitate events and possibly put on new events – asking for $18,000.
5. The Nakusp Ski Club Association needs a groomer replacement or an upgrade as the present groomer is nearing the end of it’s life cycle and are requesting $30,000.
Small projects requesting $10,000 and under are:
1. Arrow & Slocan Lakes Community Services who sponsor the school breakfast program and the food bank and are requesting $7,700.
2. Beaton Arm Crossing Association would like to have $4,850 to produce a documentary film on the proposed fixed link.
3. Freedom Question Regional Youth Services West Kootenay Parkour leadership program is asking for $3,672 for the Parkour program to teach and bring principles of Parkour to students in the area.
4. Kootenay Boundary Health Care would like $500 to go towards expand ing and upgrading equipment in the Intensive Care Unit and Emergency room.
5. Kootenay Sufferfest Society is asking for $5000 to upgrade the Loonie Toonie trail that links Kaslo, New Denver and Nakusp.
6. Music in the Park is requesting $5000 to put on Music In The Park for this summer.
7. Nakusp & Area Community Trails Society is requesting $9,956 to rebuild Vickie’s View and the Kuskanax Mountain Trail.
8. Nakusp & District Museum Society would like $2000 for a compressor for the SS Minto Whistle as the old one is outdated and illegal.
9. Nakusp Centennial Golf Course is requesting $9,800 for a fuel tank replacement as the old one has environmental concerns.
10. The Nakusp Rotary Club is asking $10,000 to put in an exhaust hood with a fire suppression system as well as a food cooler and food steam table for their 18 foot Concession trailer.
11. The Nakusp Senior Citizens Association Branch 71 would like to do some basement renovations in the bathroom and storage room and are requesting $4,838.
12. Options for Sexual Health BC – Nakusp Options for Sexual Health are requesting $5000 for supplies to help with their program.
In total, the large group projects are requesting $105,364 and the small projects $68,316 for a total of $173,680.
There is $161,500 available in funding.
Each voter must vote for four projects in each category.
If they vote for less, their ballot will not be counted. This is done in order to ensure that all projects are considered and the community can see where the priorities lie.