News

Premier axes ex-MLA's earthquake contract

Former Chilliwack MLA John Les - Chilliwack Progress
Former Chilliwack MLA John Les
— image credit: Chilliwack Progress

VICTORIA – Premier Christy Clark said Wednesday she didn't hear about former Chilliwack MLA John Les' appointment until it was announced, and the deal is off.

Attorney General Suzanne Anton's announcement Tuesday that Les would be paid up to $140,000 to lead an eight-month consultation on earthquake preparedness was greeted by a storm of controversy.

NDP critics questioned whether Les' experience as a mayor and solicitor general was relevant to the province-wide project he was to chair. The vice-chair, former director of California's Office of Emergency Services Henry Renteria, is to be paid up to $100,000.

Clark moved quickly to blunt the opposition attack Wednesday, announcing at the start of question period that the contract with Les has been withdrawn.

"It was a mistake," Clark told reporters later. "I think the essence of leadership is not just making decisions, it's also being able to course correct when you've made a mistake, and that's what she [Anton] has done."

Anton said she discussed the issue with Clark Wednesday morning, and they agreed the expenditure for Les' services was too high.

The sudden reversal came as the appointment was being questioned by Metro Vancouver board chair Greg Moore, who said it is inappropriate for Les to take the job while lobbying for the company that operates the Cache Creek landfill.

Les has been a vocal opponent of Metro's garbage incineration strategy and has lobbied Environment Minister Mary Polak to reject Metro's new waste disposal bylaw that would end the practice of hauling garbage to cheaper landfills outside the Lower Mainland.

"It doesn't make any sense," Moore said Wednesday. "To now be representing government to work with us when he's been so opposed to so much we've done – I don't see how it can actually happen."

Les, who retired last year after 12 years as MLA, already has a three-year contract to chair the B.C. Farm Industry Review Board, which pays $60,000 a year.

Anton had argued that Les had unique experience as a former mayor and head of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, as well as a former solicitor general in charge of B.C.'s emergency management program.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Amrik Virk advised Kwantlen on secret executive bonus
 
Flu vaccine less effective against mutant strain
 
Hawkair returning to mid-afternoon flight from Prince Rupert to Vancouver
Festival shut down due to ongoing city labour dispute
 
Dodge Cove residents ready to take the fight to Nexen as focus shifts to Digby Island
 
Jersey Day in Nelson
School District 8 implements anti-violence protocols
 
What qualifies as essential services? : With the strike of the city of Castlegar’s workers already approaching three weeks, concerns over who is providing essential services,
 
UPDATE: Rice receives written confirmation of changes to wheelchair cabin policy

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 27 edition online now. Browse the archives.