Greg Nesteroff

PLACE NAMES: Silverton

Silverton was originally known as Four Mile or Four Mile City, after Four Mile Creek.

PLACE NAMES: Shutty Bench and Six Mile

Shutty Bench, a few kilometers north of Kaslo, was founded by Andrew Shutty and his son.

PLACE NAMES: Shoreacres

Shoreacres, the wide flat at the confluence of the Slocan and Kootenay rivers, was previously known as Slocan Crossing and Lancasters.

PLACE NAMES: Shields, Shirley, and Shoreholme

Was Shields named for a railway contractor or for the Shiell brothers?

PLACE NAMES: Sheep Creek

Two noteworthy Sheep Creeks exist in West Kootenay.

PLACE NAMES: Seaton

Seaton might be the most obscure townsite in the Slocan. You won’t find it mentioned in any history book.

PLACE NAMES: Sayward

Sayward on Vancouver Island and the former West Kootenay townsite of Sayward were both named after lumber magnate William Parsons Sayward.

PLACE NAMES: Sandon, part 2

The earliest reference to the future townsite of Sandon was in a letter by John Morgan Harris, dated May 19, 1892.

PLACE NAMES: Sandon, part 1

Sandon, the West Kootenay’s greatest ghost town, was named after Sandon Creek, in turn named for prospector John Sandon.

PLACE NAMES: Salmon Rapids

On July 8, 1910, the Nelson Daily News carried the first in a series of ads for the “First sale of lots in the Salmon Rapids townsite.”

PLACE NAMES: Salmo

Salmo is the Latin form of salmon and takes its name from the Salmon River (now Salmo River) that flows through it.

Rossland, Part 1

One hundred sixty-sixth in an alphabetical series on West Kootenay/Boundary place names.

PLACE NAMES: St. Leon and Rosebery, revisited

In 1892, prospector Mike Grady found hot springs bubbling out of holes in the rocks two miles up a mountainside from Upper Arrow Lake.

PLACE NAMES: Rosebery and Ross Spur

Rosebery, on Slocan Lake, was originally known as Wilson Creek, the body of water that flows through it.

Historic schoolhouse keeps Park Siding’s name alive

One hundred forty-fourth in an alphabetical series on West Kootenay/Boundary place names.

Oro townsite proved less than golden

One hundred forty-third in an alphabetical series on West Kootenay/Boundary place names.

Getting a new name Crockettville became Oasis

One hundred forty-first in an alphabetical series on West Kootenay/Boundary place names.

Nelson-Spokane highway gave customs port its name

One hundred thirty-seventh in a semi-alphabetical series on West Kootenay/Boundary place names.

Nelson, BC forced Nelson, Wash. to pick new name

One hundred thirty-sixth in an alphabetical series on West Kootenay/Boundary place names.

Promoters named it Nelson City, public called it Bogustown

One-hundred thirty-fifth in an alphabetical series on West Kootenay/Boundary place names